Monday, July 21, 2008

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts




That's right, Joan Jett. I took my daughter to Artscape on Friday to see Joan Jett. I didn't tell her who we were going to see until we were parking the car. She was very excited, she had just discovered 80's music a few months ago and Joan Jett was her favorite because she had attitude. She was so excited, I found myself hoping that Joan Jett would still be good. I mean, you see these old rockers still hanging around and it is not always a pretty picture. Would she be fat? Could she still rock it? Would she have attitude.

NO! YES! YES!

I couldn't believe my eyes or my ears. I still have her music running through my mind. She ran out on stage wearing very low cut leather pants and the tiniest string bikini top possible. Her hair was still jet black and cut in her signature style. She strapped on her guitar and she started off with Bad Reputation. It was awesome. She is so impossibly thin. She sings every bit as well as she ever has. Her newer music was really good too. I loved her song called Riddles, which has alot to say about politicians and the way they talk to us. Her band, The Blackhearts, is really good. The lead guitarist was excellent. She went on for an hour and a half without slowing down one bit. The crowd was a mix of young and old and everyone was into the music, singing along pumping fists and even holding up a few lighters.

Artscape has been expended. You almost need the three days to really see everything. Next year, I think I will plan to spend alot more time there. They have greatly expanded the area for the DJ Culture stage, taking up an entire parking lot instead of jamming up the middle of the street. They now run the tents up part of North Charles Street too, including the Charles Theater.

Oh, and after seeing Joan, I am keeping my black hair. If Joan can rock it at almost 50, so can I.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could ditto your entire comment. I saw Joan Jett and the Blackhearts on Tuesday July 15, 2008 at a private concert for MLB at Randall's Island. She was a favorite of mine back in the day and I couldn't believe my 16 year old daughter was rockin too. Same thing with my audience, she was rocking young and old alike.

Diva's Thoughts said...

I am so sick that I missed her!! UGH!!!!