Friday, September 14, 2007

Good Reads

http://www.writerswrite.com/wblog.php?wblog=906071 - author convicted of murder he wrote about, this guy just wouldn't rest until he was caught.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/09/10/asphalt_tec.html?category=technology&guid=20070910110000&dcitc=w19-502-ak-0000 - engineered soil for parking lots. The environment is something I care about. It's not that I am a tree hugger, I just think it is our responsibility as human beings to take care of the earth. According to my Bible, it was "job #1" for Adam in the garden of Eden. But whether you believe in God or not, most people should care about leaving behind clean air and water for their great great great grandchildren to use. So I think it is cool to read about new technologies.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/has-the-bank-branch-frenzy-peaked/#comment-34513 - banksters. Are we supposed to believe that banks just happen to have more branches in the Wall Street area as opposed to the Bronx for no apparent reason? Bankers do not care about people. Bankers care about profits. Bankers are always trying to sell you what will most help them. Whatever product they are pushing is the one you just can't live without. I know, I was one of them, and I was successful too, and I hated every minute of it. Banksters also take gross advantage of disabled people which makes me sick. People who are on SSI for a variety of disabilities, including mental and emotional impairments, are told they must have direct deposit. The government pushes it as a way to save money and the banks are all too eager to get these deposits too. Why? Fee income. When these people overdraw their checking account they incur fees. I knew people who lived on their SSI checks of about $500 a month and paid out a high percentage of that in overdraft fees. The bank knows it will be paid when their next direct deposit comes in. The poor get poorer, the rich get richer. Anyway, I digress, this article is not about how the banks take advantage of the poor and disabled. Can you tell I have strong opinions about this?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/0911/1189076092745.html - I love to read something from a foreign country every now and again. This is an article about internet friendships from an Irish point of view.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=ind_focus.story&STORY=/www/story/09-10-2007/0004659325&EDATE=MON+Sep+10+2007,+08:00+AM - Yes, I am such a homer. Baltimore was ranked NUMBER ONE in the nation for NFL tailgating. Please, tell me something I didn't already know.

Enjoy.

No comments: